Saturday, February 5, 2011

I Hope You Dance

This song was released right around the time I was married. I don’t typically listen to country, so I don’t know how I first heard it. It probably ‘crossed over’.

Anyway, when I first heard it, I immediately focused on the lyrics (as I typically do). Without skipping a beat, I thought of my future daughter. These were all the things I would want to tell her someday. This song was written for little Katelyn. I fell in love with it immediately.

A couple years later, we decided to start our family. I would listen to this song and dream about my little girl.

As time rolled on, the song slowly changed. Instead of evoking hopes and dreams, I just felt pain. I stopped listening to it. Completely. And then forgot about it.

This week I randomly found out George Strait was coming to town for a concert. My husband (despite not being much of a country fan either) has loved him since childhood. Randomly, on a whim, we bought last-minute cheap seats and went to the concert.

The opening act was Leann Womack. She sang a few songs before I heard a familiar musical introduction. It was THE song. The song I hadn’t heard for years. The song whose once hopeful chords had dissolved me into a hopeless sobbing mess the last time I heard it.

And now I was hearing it again. Live.

Only this time, I was pregnant.

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making

Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance

Hearing those words again, I cried. Ryan held my hand. Life was good.

No comments:

FAITH IN GOD MEANS HAVING FAITH IN HIS TIMING.