There are a lot of opinions regarding when my 2nd trimester begins. If you calculate based on the conception date, it would be April 6th. If you calculate based on the gestation, it would be March 28th.
But, if you calculate based on development, it would be TODAY! And, since my favorite pregnancy book concurs, I have decided to dub today the FIRST day of the SECOND trimester!
So, here are the things I want to remember about my first trimester with Beanie…
- The positive pregnancy test. Hugging Ryan right afterward. The equally positive blood tests to follow.
- Telling loved ones the good news.
- Each and every time I’ve seen that cute little bean on the ultrasound screen. Maybe it was the long wait to get here or maybe I’m just paranoid, but there was always a moment of shock each time I saw Beanie alive, well and growing. And I love the giddiness and adrenaline high that comes immediately after.
- Realizing the awesome man I have married. I mean, I always knew he was, but I have been amazed at how much he has stepped up to help me and how understanding he’s been. Also, how excited he is. He is my hero!
- Finding Dr. M.
- Trying on maternity clothes with a strap-on belly. I never thought I’d do something like that but at the last minute I did. HA!
- Renting a doppler and hearing the heartbeat. I had tried to find it for a couple minutes and couldn't, so Ryan tried and found it right away. Then he said, "Beanie wanted *daddy* to find it!" :)
- The LAST progesterone shot! We did those things every night for 8 weeks. Ryan commented, “Wow! That went by fast!” to which I replied, “For YOU!” :P
- I ate chicken for the first time in 1 ½ years. And I ate it because it sounded good! Weird…
- I can’t believe how much I can feel my vertebrae moving around, getting ready for pregnancy I guess. It’s occasionally painful, but mostly it’s just strange.
- I only threw up once. I always thought I’d be one of those ladies hugging the toilet for 4 months. I had my share of nausea, but I was very fortunate.
- My fatigue hit full-force at 9/10 weeks, and is still there. I am way more exhausted now than I was at the beginning of pregnancy.
- I think I will be one of those pregnant ladies who are sick the whole pregnancy. I am going on 7 weeks of head colds, allergies, coughing, you name it. I did have sinus/ear infections and that has been cleared up, but the sickness continues. Totally worth it though, obviously.
- Actually making it to this point in pregnancy. It is a dream!
- Losing Andie. By far, the most difficult moment.
- My Urgent Care debacle.
All in all, my first trimester has been the most wonderful 3 months of my life. There has been anxiety, apprehension, and tears, all completely covered up in blissful joy and gratitude beyond words. I can not WAIT to meet our baby, to hold that precious gift in my arms, but in the meantime I am enjoying being a mommy in every way I can.
I am excited for the 2nd trimester, which should last until July 1st (or June 29th… or July 4th… those darn differing opinions…)! I think I am slowly getting to the point that my excitement outweighs my worries and fears. Not by a lot... but a little at least.
Lots to look forward to. :)
At 12 weeks...