Sunday, January 23, 2011

We did it

Last night, we did our first Progesterone shot and I survived!


Check out that needle! My heart stopped when I opened the package and saw that thing.

I began by putting my upper, outer butt cheek on a heating pad for about 10 minutes. I also placed the vial of Progesterone in a dish of hot water to warm it up a bit. Once it was ready, we wiped the top of the vial with an alcohol swab, attached a needle to the syringe and pulled up on the plunger to draw 1ml of air in. We stuck the needle into the vial and pushed the air into it. Then we turned the vial upside down and drew in 1cc of the Progesterone.

Next, we pulled the needle out of the vial, capped the needle and removed it. We put a new needle on the syringe and pushed any air out until a drop of the Progesterone came out of the needle. I then laid on my stomach on the bed, exposed my butt cheek, wiped the area with alcohol, had a mini-freakout, and ultimately decided to put my iPod earbuds in my ears with a bit of Michael Buble playing.

I took a deep breath and let it out. Ryan put the needle in quickly, like a dart. He then pulled back on the plunger to check for blood and make sure he wasn't in a blood vessel. When all looked good he slowly released all the Progesterone out of the syringe. This takes longer than one might think... that stuff is a tad thick.

Once it was empty, Ryan was ready to remove the needle. It was then we realized we forgot the gauze! So, Ryan left the device stuck in my butt cheek while he ran to get the gauze. A mistake we won't make again! He came back, removed the needle and rubbed the area for a couple minutes to distribute the Progesterone. I kept the heating pad on for about 30 minutes following.

The area hurt for a while afterwards, but it feels okay today. I feel pretty calm about tonight, as it is the next butt cheek's turn. ;) I am a bit anxious about injecting the same general areas day after day for months, but I'm sure it will be fine in the end. This baby is worth going through anything and, in the grand scheme of life, this ain't that bad! ;)

No comments:

FAITH IN GOD MEANS HAVING FAITH IN HIS TIMING.