Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stretch Marks

In the last couple days, they have arrived!  I went from a few on each hip to about 10 tiny ones on each butt cheek plus a few on what is now the "underside" of my belly.  And, honestly, I don't care a bit!

A friend recently sent this to me, and I cried when I read it.  My tummy may not have as many marks as this (yet?), but I would be fine if it did.  I am so focused on getting my baby *here*, safe in my arms, that sometimes I have to remember to enjoy these moments with her still inside.  This pregnancy is a gift and I am forever grateful.

"A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn. One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes and slept in the most perfect darkness. One for every time you had the hiccups. One for every dream you dreamed within me.

It isn't very pretty anymore. Some may even think it ugly. That's OK. It was your home. It's where I first grew to love you, where I lay my hand as I dreamed about who you were and who you would be. It held you until my arms could, and for that, I will always find something beautiful in it."

4 comments:

A said...

I just got some in the past couple of weeks, too. I was kind of in awe! I was excited because it meant that my belly was *that* big that it was stretching so much!

Sarah said...

Aww this is so sweet :) A baby definitely trumps stretch marks :) Worth it all...

Heather said...

This was SO sweet! Thank you so much for posting it! I hope you don't mind, but I posted it on my blog as well and linked it to yours!

*Lyndsey said...

I have been a silent reader for while, but I wanted to share a similar story of mine.

I got out of the shower when I was about 8 or 9 months pregnant, and I caught my husband staring at my belly. I asked him what he was staring at, and he said this:

"I was listening to the radio the other day, and they were talking about women's body parts that women HATE, but men love. Number three on that list was stretch marks." Stunned, I asked him to elaborate. "It's not the stretch marks themselves that are beautiful...it's what they represent. You have those marks because you are carrying my child. They are your war wounds, and they are beautiful."

FAITH IN GOD MEANS HAVING FAITH IN HIS TIMING.