Friday, January 22, 2010

Appreciating the Sun

I love the rain. In fact, one of my dreams is to live in Seattle someday. Now, I know I’ve only been there once, and during the best time of year, but I can’t help feeling connected to that city. I love it!

Anyway, I digress.

California has been ambushed by rain storms. For a ‘desert’, we sure are drowning here! It’s been 5 or 6 days straight of dark skies, violent wind, and periodic downpours.

Today, I was heading out to lunch when I noticed the skies part. Suddenly, the sun emerged and beat down on the wet, clean earth. I raised my face up to it and felt its warmth. After not seeing the sun for so long, I couldn’t help but pause and appreciate its presence.

At that moment, a thought came to mind. If this was your typical California day, I wouldn’t have even noticed the sun. I might have even complained that it was too bright, or too hot. But because I had felt the rain for so long, I appreciated when the sun finally emerged.

Such is true about life: You have to go through the rainy days to appreciate the sun.

Although I love rainy weather, I don’t much care for rain in life. All of our trials, heartache and disappointment pour down on us… and we wonder if it will ever end.

But inevitably the sun will come out and, when it does, we will notice its warmth and feel its glow more than ever before. And that feeling will be worth all this rain.

So, for right now, we’ll just open our umbrella, dance in a few puddles, and wait for the sun.

2 comments:

Amy Nielson said...

Very true! I don't much care for the rain in life either. Great analogy.

Nishant said...

so they have plenty of time to build up blessings for your family.

Work from home India

FAITH IN GOD MEANS HAVING FAITH IN HIS TIMING.