Sunday, August 24, 2008

You Don't Have to Win, You Just Have to Finish

I had a moment of inspiration today, and I wanted to make a note of what I learned before it gets lost in the minutia of my life.

A speaker in church today told a story about an "Iron Man" race he had once watched. An Iron Man race consists of a swim (2.5 miles), a bike ride (112 miles) and a marathon run at the end (over 26 miles). It is a strong test of endurance.

He remembers watching a certain woman compete. She had finished her swim and bike ride. As she was coming up on the end of her run, about 100 yards from the finish line, her body gave out and she collapsed. Physically, she just couldn't do it any more. Even so, she wanted to finish the race.

This woman dragged herself the last 100 yards towards the finish line. She literally used her elbows and forearms to pull her limp body along. Her desire to finish the race was an inspiration to everyone. I didn't ask, but I bet the man telling the story can't remember the person who won the race that year, but I am sure he will never forget the woman who didn't give up.

In Hebrews 12:1 it reads:

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.

As I listened to the speaker today, I felt tears come to my eyes. Sometimes, I feel like I am in a race that will never end. I want this infertility marathon to be over! I want to sit down and rest my soul, and catch my breath!

But God has other plans and my job is to finish this race. I don't have to win; I just have to finish.

And if I have to drag this body across the finish line, that's what I'm willing to do.

1 comment:

Isa said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you...I needed to read that.

FAITH IN GOD MEANS HAVING FAITH IN HIS TIMING.